Posted on April 1, 2009 - ( views)
Arsenic is a toxic element found in natural water sources. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), each liter of drinking water should not contain more than 10 micrograms of arsenic otherwise it would be unfit for human consumption and lethal. Unfortunately, keeping water fit to drink is a world problem.
Izmir, the third largest city in Turkey, has been plagued with arsenic problems. The situation was further worsened by a drought in the region which increased arsenic concentration over the years.
In 2008, the world's biggest arsenic removal plant for drinking water was erected in Izmir with a capacity of treating 270.000 m3 of water a day. All of the electrical and automation works for the project were completed by ABC ENSER. The plant has successfully reduced the arsenic level from 50 micrograms/liter to well under the 10 microgram/lt limit.
The system is controlled by 3 Hitachi EHV CPU's based PLCs which communicate with each other using Ethernet over a fiber optic network and visualization is implemented using the standard MOVICON SCADA platform (produced by Progea).
The entire plant's activities are centralized and supervised from the control room by a central Movicon server station that handles 1800 tags. All useful data is traced and stored on a local data base using the Scada's native data recording facilities: Events Log, data Tracer, Analog Data-logging.
Collected data is also remotely monitored over the Internet using Progea's Java Base webclient technology.
The control system is designed to run with minimum human intervention and minimum down time. All alarms and faults are monitored locally and remotely for quick corrective reaction.
The Scope of Supply
The Electrical Works:
- 34.5 kV medium voltage switch gear and power lines.
- 2,000 kVA main transformer, 2,100 kVA Diesel Generator back-up system.
- Main distribution, compensation and synchronization panels.
- Control and supply cubicles for
- 11 input pumps 110 kW each;
- Main filtering process composed of 128 tanks.
- The backwash water treatment.
- General lighting, lightning protection and grounding of the whole plant.
- Synchronization and control of the generator sets.
- Controlling of the input pumps based on filtering process's intake levels and flow rates.
- Automation of filter groups.
- Automation of backwash water treatment system.
- Visualization, logging and reporting of the complete system.
- Remote monitoring of the system.
Via S. Anna 88/E
SensiNext guarantees the new sensors' connectivity costs reduction with SmartNext Ⅱ. The innovation of SensiNext The...
IEN: As far as the sensors, test & measurement business is concerned, which industries are the most promising at the...
Micro-Epsilon Messtechnik GmbH & Co.KG